Not a great day. He spent quite a while feeling his feet and I suppose checking where everything is internally (tendons, etc) and says we are literally back to square one. He says even with an extensive surgery now he might not be fully correctable so he wants to begin the treatment again. I was expecting to go in and be told we'll be going for a tendon transfer op so I was gutted.
As we're away over the weekend, I'll have to ring to check availability next week. He won't get in any physio help because there will be no point... starting treatment again means he has to go back into plaster casts, both legs, up to top of his thighs :(. He hasn't been in casts since last year so I don't know how he'll deal with that.
That will be weekly cast changes for up to 3 months (his next appointment) and then probably another tenotomy op on each heel (cut the tendon). Then more casts for 6 weeks and see where he is from then. This was all supposed to be fixed. Any clubfoot website you look at gives you the "this is the most common congenital birth defect, easily correctable, blah blah blah". Not my kids :(
If that is the plan he's going to into January before he even gets all the casts off and he's 2 in February. If his feet are still not straight, what does that mean for his development? I can't imagine how this is going to affect him at this age (the loss of mobility as he'll probably not be able to crawl easily with them on).
Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that he is the most adorable little tyke!
I'll post more of these mud pictures later, lol. All I can say back turned for literally 20 seconds and this was the result, but this shows why he can't stand/walk currently.


2 comments:
Oh, I'm so sorry that must be devastating. (((Hugs)))
That sounds very frustrating. That is not the kind of news a Mum would want to hear, after everything you've already been through, and everything you've already watched Ben & Jack go through.
I hope Ben can handle having casts on again, and it won't be too horrible for both of you.
I know you're a tough cookie, and you'll get through it somehow. I just wish you didn't have to.
Seriously Kelly, you deserve to be nominated for "Best Mother Of The Year & Strongest Mother Alive !"
I hope the getaway with Tony recharged your batteries, and gave you a much needed break.
Big hugs.
~Lisa
Post a Comment