Monday, 24 September 2007

So sick


Take what Katie is still recovering from and multiply it by 10 and that's about how bad I feel. Having literally been sick for 3 years - in all of my pregnancies I was sick every day until they were born - you would think I'd be used to it, but this has wiped me out. I think it might be the flu (influenza, not stomach flu), although I am also being sick I think just from the coughing, that brings back very bad memories of the hyperemesis :(

I'd had a "cold" Thurs - Sat. Anyway, I could barely move when I woke up yesterday, it hurt to move my head or open my eyes and Katie came into our bedroom. I was crying and she looked all concerned, got into bed and said "Mammy, crying. Poorly", then wiped my tears with her sacred, special blanket. Awwww. She can push your buttons, but she has a heart of gold really.

I didn't even get dressed yesterday. Jack is snuffly and he always gets very refluxy still when he has a cold, so I was concerned about him being sick as he was crying and gagging yesterday, but today Tony said he seemed ok (I was still in bed this morning) so he went to school. Tony is headachey, but not outwardly dying and Ben is a little snuffly, but otherwise ok - maybe those breastfeeding antibodies work after all, I can't believe he hasn't caught this with how bad I've been. Speaking of which, my supply has tanked.

I barely expressed 12-14 oz yesterday, which I totally could not be bothered to do, but knew it would make things worse if I didn't. He drinks at least 21 - 25 oz by bottle every day, as well as when I direct nurse him in the morning, so have substantially had to cut my freezer stash to keep up with him. I got to 6 months more or less exclusive pumping (we only nurse once in the morning due to his latch) and was heading to give up, but I just couldn't do it, so since he's only 4 days from 7 months now, that is my next goal - I'm so stubborn!! Anyway, we're slowly introducing solids, so far he's had rice cereal, rusk (teething biscuit) with breast milk, carrots and sweet potato and still so far no formula. I wish my supply would pick up. I've said it before, but I really, really think we're not going to last much longer. I have possibly 25-30 oz frozen. If this illness doesn't kill me for good, his health visitor is supposed to be coming out next Monday, so I will see if she suggests anything for my supply, but she ticks me off normally as she keeps putting on his booklet he is bf/ff - he's not! Just because he gets bottles, it's still breast milk!

Must go back to my sick bed, my eyes/nose is streaming, head is pounding, chest is burning and I think I'm going to be sick. Tony had to go to work, so I'm by myself with Ben and Katie (who is hyper) and it is tough. He can't really take any time off as his manager is on holiday and Jack has another surgery coming up which he'll need the time off for. He was supposed to be going to a meeting after work which he is cancelling though, thank goodness. Katie keeps telling me to wake up when I'm lying down on the sofa, lol, but they're napping now. Peace.

3 comments:

Jess said...

Ugh, Kelly, that sounds miserable. I hope you get some relief soon.

Ida said...

Hope you all feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

How are you feeling, Kelly ?

I hope all of you are feeling better. Hugs to all of you.

~Lisa