Thursday, 27 March 2008

Jack sick again

He is having an awful time. I'm so sad for him. He's not been well since really before Christmas. Colds, being sick, crying for no reason I can figure out. His teacher said he was very unhappy today so I'll be keeping him home tomorrow. He does have a blocked nose, but his main issue is being sick. He's back on reflux medication, but he's been sick on and off for around a month now and it is really affecting him now - even when he sees his feed kit/pump, he starts getting agitated and cries and pushes me away as I try to connect his g-tube. When he's sick, he is so angry, will not accept any comfort at all, it makes him madder. He doesn't want to be picked up or cuddled and seems to be like "why do you not make this better" :(.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Jack is sick, do you feed him less food ?

I know when I'm sick I don't want to eat, so how do you handle that aspect if it ?

Obviously he needs some nourishment, but if he's acting agitated when he sees you handling his tube, and he's not hungry, what is the protocol for feeding him ?

Lisa

kaysdee said...

Hey Lisa, I tend to cut him back, but it's really hard to judge because all he gets anyway is 940ml fluid per day.

If you can imagine, that's like drinking 3 cans of pop and absolutely nothing else.

So, for fluids more than anything, I feel I have to keep feeding him. I tend to either give him water though, or dioralyte (pedialyte). Or, when I make up his feeds, I use less powder and water it down a bit. His calories are 1cal per ml so he is on so little anyway that I find it hard to not make him take it. I usually slow his rate of delivery right down, or give him less volume, more often.

He still takes nothing by mouth so everything is via his tube - I guess one of the only advantages of ensuring he gets his medications!

I know what you mean though. I've had enough of being sick to last me a lifetime. Remember how sick I was until Jack was born? I was like that with Katie and Ben too - every time up until delivery, so I know he must be feeling awful. I couldn't even stand the thought of looking or thinking about food/drink.

He has been a little better today though :)

Thanks
Kelly