Monday, 14 January 2008

It starts

So...I got my treadmill back from my brother yesterday. New week, new start - today is my first day of really trying to make a difference. I haven't taken any formal exercise since before Katie was born. Actually, who am I kidding, I haven't done any exercise full stop. That changes from today. I hate the way I look and feel and even though I just did my first session and I'm knackered, I know in an hour or so I'll be feeling rejuvenated and over the weeks to come if I see some difference in my body I'll be very happy with the changes, physically and mentally. I used to belong to a gym years ago, but I didn't like the exhibition, so I'll just be using my treadmill at home and add in some stretches and toning exercises.

I have an easy running programme that has worked for me in the past and will gently get me back in the swing of things. Today I did run one minute, walk one minutes x 10, so 20 minutes in total. An unimpressive 1.8 miles covered and 72 calories. How depressing is that?! That's not even enough to cover one finger of Twix chocolate. That will certainly make me think twice about what I'm eating if I can change my thinking "do I really want to spend 30 minutes running for the sake of a few biscuits? Nope!" :). I'm going to be my normal anal self and keep a spreadsheet to track my progress and compare my "scores" to the last time I did this. I know I pushed myself harder last time just so I could do better than the previous time (I think this is my 4th time).

Ideally, I would love to get to 9.5 stone (133lb), but realistically if I can just break that 10 stone (139lb) barrier I will be happy. I'm not overly worried about the actual weight since I know muscle weighs heavier than fat but takes up less room, blah blah, I just want to look and feel good and get down a dress size or 2.

No comments: